JOIN THE RALLY ON SATURDAY 16th APRIL, 2011
Title of the Rally
“Japan, Make It a Nation that Can Say “NO” to Discrimination! -A protest against Tokyo Governor Ishihara's homophobic comments-”
This title is derived from one of Ishihara’s books entitled “NO” to ieru Nihon (Japan, that Can Say “No”).
Date & Time
Saturday 16th April
Meet at 15:00 for 15:30 start.
(Rain or shine)
The rally is expected to finish at approximately 17:00.
Okubo Park, Shinjuku Ward
2-43 Kabukicho, Shinjuku-ku Tokyo
How to Get There
3 minute walk from Seibu Shinjuku Station.
8 minute walk from JR Shinjuku Station.
People from many walks of life will unite on 16th April to protest against Shintaro Ishihara's homophobic comments, before the expiration of his current term in office as Tokyo Governor. We will bear rainbow colours and start the rally from Okubo Park, walk through Shinjuku Ni-Chome (Tokyo's biggest gay town) and to our final destination, Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, where Governor Ishihara's office is situated. Anyone who opposes to Governor Ishihara's comments and ideologies can participate in the rally, regardless of sex, gender or sexual orientation.
From Tokyo, we hope to promote diversity to the rest of Japan and the world.
Guideline for Rally Participants
Please read the following to ensure safe and effective rally on the day.
- In case of emergency, the rally may be inevitably cancelled without prior notice. Please take note of earthquake warnings and check details on our website and twitter before leaving home.
- Please come dressed casually.
- Please come with sensible shoes on, as the walk will take approximately an hour and half.
- Please bring your own water/drinks.
- Rainbow motif in your attire would be greatly appreciated.
- If possible, please bring placards and/or banners with messages to promote LGBT rights to attract by-passers' attention.
- Please ensure your placards/banners aren't too big as not to violate the road traffic laws.
- Please make sure the context of the messages on your placards/banners are relative to the intention of the rally (that is to protest against Gov. Ishihara's homophobic comments).
- Your messages on the placards/banners must not include context that may be taken as defamation, insult or slander to Gov. Ishihara and any other individuals and groups.
- Please do not bring anything that would promote and/or indicate your affiliation to any political parties or groups.
- No automobiles, mono-cycles, bicycles, roller-skates, roller-blades and other form of transportation are allowed in the rally. Wheelchairs are permitted.
- We will NOT provide "no photos section". If you would like to participate in the rally incognito without getting recognised, please wear sunglasses, hats, masks etc to disguise yourself. We will not be held responsible for consequences of participating in the rally.
- Please follow staff's directions. You may be asked to withdraw from the rally if you refuse to do so.
-Please note that unisex barrier free toilets are located in Okubo Park.
[BACK TO TOP]